04 April 2023

Octagon Crawl

PROTIP: Weird headlines draw eyeballs. 


I’m working on my Westmarch campaign sandbox now, building simple and flavorful generative content for each hex. Of course much of that is from the random tables. 


My random encounter tables will have four listings for monster encounters, one marked FACTION, and one marked SPECIAL. These each lead to other subtables. 




FACTION will give me a chance to bring names NPCs into the picture to give the players a feel about the geopolitics, give quest hooks, and maybe make friends or enemies. I will almost always know which faction(s) are in the region.


SPECIAL is a landmark (wonder or natural feature), a settlement, or a merchant. 


The idea is that the first 2/3 of the table gives hyper-local flavor and the last 1/3 is broader details of the world and logistical support. 


On its own this suggests a heck of a lot of wandering tables, but I don’t need to make them all up ahead of time. The several players are only going to chew through a few hexes a night in any particular direction and I suspect there will be a lot of times when they stay in one hex. Furthermore, each only has four entries (with four auxiliary entries to use if the first ones don’t make sense.) it’ll be more formatting hassle than anything.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay focused.