23 March 2023

Hack Any Situation

Pretty girls are constantly coming up to me and asking how I handle unusual actions when I referee RPGs. You guys know how it is. So I’m jotting this post off and putting a QR code on my business card so I don’t have to keep explaining it between impromptu makeout sessions. 


First, mechanics. 


Mechanically, two great hacks I use to fill in the gaps are a 1d6 and 2d6 tables. High stats get a +1 and low stats get a -1. 


I handle binary results (eg did they break the door down or not) on 1d6. 1-2 is a success but that range is modified by stats, tools, circumstances. 


By delineating 2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12 we get a good feel for how some ongoing action is going on. 2 is complete failure, 12 is instant success, and then you get a range of the good and bad. 


And now for the refereeing discretion I’ve long been known for:


As for many things, you don’t really need to ask the dice. I presume these figures represent Adventurous Men, and that they are broadly competent in the things Adventurous Men might do. Rather than “can you climb the wall,” the questions are how do you climb it, and then to determine how long it should take. Like that. 


I now return you to my normal heavy petting and I suggest you return to whatever it is you do when is cool guys are kissing a pretty girl. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay focused.