16 March 2023

The Elf Issue

 When I first learned about the multiclassing rules for elf and half-elf fighter/mages, I was really bummed out. Not only do they take a significant cut in their number of hit points (half d10 and half d4,) but they can’t wear armor when they cast spells. 


Lol what? 


What kind of a fighter can’t wear armor?!


I imagined that the elf would have his magic plate mail in his backpack. Once he blew through his offensive spells, he would cast his defensive magic, put on his armor, and pick up a sword. 


This seemed stupid to me, especially with fewer hit points. 


I never played one. I did have one half-elf fighter/mage/thief but that was a short-lived experiment for some reason. 


I much preferred the Arensonian Elf class, where the elf was a fighter all the time and a wizard all the time. I got that. Even though they need hilariously high XP to level 2 (and then trail by at least one,) the idea of a sword and armor AND spells made sense. 



This clearly illustrates my fighter-bias, and even my specific melee-bias. Yes, I’m well biased towards melee types. Crown & Valor makes an effort to swing the power balance back in favor of melee toons. 


Later on, I realized the world building implications of the elf casting without armor; the cold-iron-and-faerie-dust aspect of it all, and so now, I can appreciate that for what it is and what it says about that multiverse. 


I might even try one the next time there’s a 1e game to be had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stay focused.